If you love Bollywood music, you must have heard of Sonu Nigam. He is one of the most popular and successful singers in not just Hindi but overall pan-Indian cinema.
He is also a music director, dubbing artist, and actor who works in various language movies.
He has sung in various languages, genres, and styles, composed music, acted in films, and dubbed for other actors.
He has won numerous awards and honors, including the Padma Shri, the fourth-highest civilian award in India, for his contribution to the field of music.
|Full Name||Sonu Nigam|
|Profession||Playback singer, music director, actor, dubbing artist|
|Date of Birth||30 July 1973|
|Current Age||50 (as of 2023)|
|Place of Birth||Faridabad, Haryana, India|
|Height||5 ft 7 in or 170 cm|
|Weight||68 kg or 150 lbs|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Hair Color||Natural Black|
|Tattoos on body|
Past & Current Relationships
|Father||Agam Kumar Nigam (Singer)|
|Siblings||Meenal and Neekita (Younger Sisters)|
Sonu Nigam has been married to Madhurima Nigam, a former TV anchor and actress, since 2002.
They have a son named Nevaan, who is also a singer. Sonu Nigam is very close to his family and often shares pictures and videos of them on social media.
He also has a good rapport with many of his colleagues and friends in the industry.
Early Life & Education
Sonu Nigam was born on 30 July 1973 in Faridabad, Haryana, to Agam Kumar Nigam and Shobha Nigam.
His father was a singer who performed at weddings and parties, and his mother was a homemaker.
He has two sisters, Meenal and Neekita, who also sing.
Sonu Nigam started singing at the age of four when he joined his father on stage to sing a song by Mohammed Rafi, his musical idol.
He attended J.D. Tyler School in Delhi and graduated from the University of Delhi.
He moved to Mumbai in 1990 with his father at the age of 19 to pursue his dream of becoming a playback singer.
He was trained in Hindustani classical music by Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan.
|Occupation||Playback singer, music director, actor, dubbing artist|
Sonu Nigam made his debut as a playback singer in 1995 with the film Bewafa Sanam.
He rose to fame with the songs “Sandese Aate Hai” from Border (1997), “Yeh Dil Deewana” from Pardes (1997), and “Ishq Bina” from Taal (1999).
He won his first Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer for the song “Saathiya” from Saathiya (2002).
He won his second Filmfare Award and his first National Film Award for the song “Kal Ho Naa Ho” from Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003).
Sonu Nigam has sung in various genres and languages, including Hindi, Kannada, Bengali, Marathi, Telugu, Tamil, Odia, Bhojpuri, Gujarati, Malayalam, Nepali, Tulu, Chhattisgarhi and others.
He has also released several non-film albums and acted in some Hindi films.
He is known as the “Modern Rafi,” a title given to him after his musical idol Mohammad Rafi.
Sonu Nigam has also ventured into music direction and composed music for films like Sooper Se Ooper (2013), Jal (2014), and Singh Saab The Great (2013).
He has also dubbed animated films like Aladdin (1992), Rio (2011), and The Lion King (2019).
Sonu Nigam has been married to Madhurima Nigam since 2002 and they have a son named Nevaan.
He has received several awards and honors for his contribution to the field of arts, including the Padma Shri, India’s fourth-highest civilian honor, in 2022.
|Current Net Worth||$50 Million|
|Fees||Rs 11-15 lakhs per song|
|Sources of Income||Sonu Nigam’s per song fee is over 10 Lakh rupees. The majority of his earnings come from albums, live concerts, films, and songs. His source of income also comes from the biggest brands.|
According to various sources, Sonu Nigam’s current net worth is estimated to be around $50 million as of 2023. His main source of income is from his singing and music direction projects. He also earns from his live concerts, endorsements and personal investments.
Interesting facts and Trivia
- Sonu Nigam was born in Faridabad, Haryana and raised in Delhi. His father Agam Kumar Nigam was also a well-known singer.
- He started his career at four, by accompanying his father on stage.
- He has sung in various languages such as Hindi, Kannada, Bengali, Oriya, Tamil, Assamese, Punjabi, Marathi, Telugu, and English.
- Sonu Nigam has won numerous awards for his singing, including the National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer. He has also won Filmfare Awards and Zee Cine Awards.
- In addition to singing, he has also acted in films such as ‘Kash Aap Hamare Hote’, ‘Love In Nepal’, and ‘Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani’.
- Sonu Nigam has also judged various singing reality shows such as Indian Idol, Sa Re Ga Ma Pa, and X Factor India.
- He is known for his ability to mimic various Bollywood actors and has even been called the “King of Bollywood Playback Singing”.
- Sonu Nigam is also actively involved in various charitable causes and associated with organizations such as CRY (Child Rights and You) and Cancer Patients Aid Association.
- He is a fitness enthusiast and loves cycling.
- Sonu Nigam has also released several independent albums, including ‘Deewana’, ‘Mausam’, and ‘Jaan’.
- At the age of three, Sonu Nigam performed on stage for the first time! He sang the popular song “Kya Hua Tera Wada”.
- Sonu is a linguist who is fluent in several regional languages. He can sing in Tamil, Telugu, Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, English, Bhojpuri, Nepali and Marathi with great enunciation.
- RD Burman considered Sonu Nigam for the 1942 Love Story song Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh.
- Sonu’s first album, Kismat, released on the Magna Sound label, was a huge hit.