Kapil Sharma is one of the most popular and successful comedians in India. He is best known for hosting the comedy show The Kapil Sharma Show, which airs on Sony TV.
He has also acted in several Bollywood films, such as Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon, Firangi and The Angry Birds Movie 2.
He has won many awards and accolades for his work, such as the CNN-IBN Indian of the Year in 2013, the Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Award in 2014 and the Padma Shri in 2019.
|Kapil Sharma (born Kapil Punj)
|Stand-up comedian, TV presenter, actor, and producer
|Date of Birth
|April 2, 1981
|42 years old
|Place of Birth
|Amritsar, Punjab, India
|5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
|80 kg or 176 lbs
|Chest: 40 Inches, Waist: 34 Inches, Biceps: 12 Inches
Past & Current Relationships
|Jeetendra Kumar Punj (worked as head constable in Punjab police)
|Ashok Kumar Sharma (Brother), Pooja Sharma (Sister)
|Ginni Chatrath (Comedia, Entrepreneur)
|Preeti Simoes, Sumona Chakravarti, Jacqueline Fernandez (reportedly)
Kapil Sharma has had a turbulent personal life, with many controversies and rumors surrounding his relationships.
He was reportedly engaged to his childhood friend Ginni Chatrath in 2013, but they broke up soon after.
He then dated his co-star Sumona Chakravarti for a while, but they also parted ways.
He was also linked with Preeti Simoes, the creative director of his show, and Bhavneet Chatrath, Ginni’s sister. However, he denied all these allegations and claimed that he was single.
In 2017, he surprised everyone by announcing that he was back with Ginni Chatrath and that they were going to get married soon. He also revealed that he had been suffering from depression and alcoholism, and that Ginni had helped him overcome his problems.
They got married in December 2018 in a lavish ceremony in Jalandhar, Punjab. They welcomed their first child, a daughter named Anayra, in December 2019. They are expecting their second child soon.
Early Life & Education
Kapil Sharma was born on April 2, 1981, in Amritsar, Punjab, India.
His father, Jeetendra Kumar Punj, was a head constable in Punjab Police, and his mother, Janak Rani, is a homemaker.
Kapil Sharma completed his schooling at Shri Ram Ashram Senior Secondary School in Amritsar and his graduation from Hindu College in Amritsar.
He also participated in many inter-college competitions and won several prizes for his performances.
He started his career as a stand-up comedian by participating in the reality show The Great Indian Laughter Challenge in 2007.
He won the show and received a cash prize of Rs 10 lakh. He then appeared in several comedy shows on different channels, such as Comedy Circus, Ustaadon Ka Ustaad, Chhote Miyan and Star Ya Rockstar.
He rose to fame with his own show Comedy Nights with Kapil, which premiered on Colors TV in 2013.
The show became a huge hit and made him a household name. He later moved to Sony TV with The Kapil Sharma Show in 2016.
Kapil Sharma won the stand-up comedy reality show, The Great Indian Laughter Challenge S3 in 2007.
He has hosted and produced several television comedy shows, including Comedy Nights with Kapil and Family Time with Kapil on Colors TV and Sony TV channels, respectively. He currently hosts The Kapil Sharma Show on Sony TV.
|Stand-up comedian, TV presenter, actor, and producer
Kapil Sharma started his career as a stand-up comedian in 2006, when he participated in the reality show The Great Indian Laughter Challenge. He won the show and received a cash prize of ₹10 lakh. He then appeared in several comedy shows on different channels, such as Comedy Circus, Ustaadon Ka Ustaad, and Chhote Miyan.
Not just that he also appeared in shows like Hans Baliye, Comedy Ka Daily Soap, and Kahani Comedy Circus Ki.
He also hosted the dance reality show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Season 6 and the celebrity talk show Comedy Nights with Kapil.
After winning The Great Indian Laughter Challenge in 2007, Kapil Sharma also participated in its second season as a celebrity guest.
In 2013, he made his Bollywood debut with the film Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon, which was a commercial success. He also produced and starred in the film Firangi in 2017, which was a historical comedy-drama. He lent his voice to the character of Red in the Hindi version of The Angry Birds Movie 2 in 2019.
In 2016, he launched his own production house, K9 Productions, and started a new comedy show called The Kapil Sharma Show on Sony TV. The show features celebrities from various fields as guests and has a loyal fan following. The show has been running successfully for more than five years and has won several awards.
As of now, The Kapil Sharma Show has had multiple seasons and has undergone a few name changes over the years. Its original run ended in 2017 due to a controversy, but the show returned with a new name and format in 2018. The show has also faced some criticism for its content and portrayal of certain communities.
Net worth and Income
|Rs. 336 crore (as of 2022)
|Rs. 50 lakhs per episode of The Kapil Sharma Show & Rs. 4 Crore per movie
|Sources of Income
|Stand-up comedy, TV presenting, acting, producing
According to various sources, Kapil Sharma’s net worth is estimated to be around ₹336 crore as of 2022. He reportedly charges Rs 50 lakhs to Rs 1 crore per episode for The Kapil Sharma Show and also earns from endorsements, live shows and film projects.
He owns several properties in Mumbai and Amritsar and also has a collection of luxury cars. He is one of the highest-paid celebrities in India and has featured in the Forbes India Celebrity 100 list multiple times.
Interesting facts and Trivia
- Kapil Sharma’s full name was Kapil Punj and later he changed into Kapil Sharma.
- His father Jeetendra Kumar Punj was a head constable in Punjab Police.
- Kapil Sharma did not clear the first round of “The Great Indian Laughter Challenge” in 2007. He came back via wild card entry and won the show and got a cash prize of Rs. 10 Lakhs.
- Kapil spent all his prize money from winning the laughter challenge on his sister’s marriage.
- Before his career in comedy, Kapil Sharma was a Punjabi folk singer. He used to perform in local shows and events.
- Kapil Sharma worked in several places, includes cloth mill, PCO, and picking up the crates of soft-drinks to earn daily wage.
- Kapil Sharma initially worked in a cloth mill and later as a telephone operator before starting his career in comedy.
- He rose to fame with his appearance in the comedy reality show “The Great Indian Laughter Challenge” in 2007.
- Kapil Sharma made his acting debut with the film “Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon” in 2015, which was a commercial success.
- He has won numerous awards for his work in comedy, including multiple Indian Television Academy Awards and CNN-IBN Indian of the Year awards.
- Kapil Sharma was named in the list of Forbes India’s Celebrity 100 in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.
- He launched his own production house, K9 Films, in 2013, which has produced several popular television shows.
- Kapil Sharma is known for his philanthropic work and has donated to various causes, including flood relief and education.
- He has also been involved in controversy over his tweets and public outbursts, which have landed him in legal trouble.
- Kapil Sharma is a vegetarian and has been vocal about his support for animal rights.
- He is married to Ginni Chatrath, whom he has known since college, and the couple has a daughter named Anayra Sharma.