One of the most prominent and successful producers in the Indian cinema and television business is Ekta Kapoor.
She serves as the co-managing director and creative director of Balaji Telefilms, a production company that has produced many popular and nominated shows for different platforms, channels, and genres.
She is also the founder of ALT Balaji, a digital streaming platform that offers original and exclusive content for online audiences.
Ekta Kapoor has been instrumental in shaping the Indian entertainment landscape with her innovative and diverse storytelling.
She has also helped launch the careers of numerous well-known actors (like Sushant Singh Rajput), directors, and writers across the country.
She serves as the company’s joint managing director and creative director.
Her father, actor Jeetendra, created Balaji Telefilms Limited in 1994. She has created several well-liked soap operas, films, and online series that have influenced India’s entertainment industry.
|Full Name||Ekta Kapoor|
|Profession||TV and Film Producer|
|Date of Birth||June 7, 1975|
|Current Age||47 years|
|Place of Birth||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Weight||60 Kg or 132 Pounds|
|Tattoos on body|
|Shoe Size||8 (US)|
|Siblings||Tusshar Kapoor (Brother)|
|Boyfriend||Karan Johar, Tanveer Bookwala|
Ekta Kapoor was born on 7 June 1975 in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. She is the daughter of veteran actor Jeetendra and Shobha Kapoor, who is also a producer.
She has a younger brother, Tusshar Kapoor, who is also an actor and producer. Ekta Kapoor belongs to a Punjabi Hindu family and follows Hinduism as her religion.
Ekta Kapoor has never been married and has maintained a low profile about her personal life.
She became a mother through surrogacy in 2019 and named her son Ravie Kapoor, after her father’s original name.
She is very close to her family and often shares pictures and videos of them on her social media accounts.
Ekta Kapoor has faced many challenges and controversies in her career as a producer.
She has been accused of plagiarism, defamation, obscenity, hurting religious sentiments, and promoting superstition through her shows and films.
She has also faced legal battles with actors, writers, and broadcasters over contractual disputes and creative differences.
However, she has always stood by her vision and defended her work with conviction and courage.
Education and Early Life
Ekta Kapoor completed her schooling at Bombay Scottish School in Mahim, Mumbai.
She then enrolled in Mithibai College, Mumbai for her graduation but dropped out after two years to pursue her passion for producing television shows.
She was inspired by her father’s work as an actor and wanted to create her own mark in the entertainment industry.
Ekta Kapoor started her career at the age of 17 as an intern at an advertising agency.
She soon realized that she was more interested in producing content than selling it. She joined hands with her mother Shobha Kapoor and founded Balaji Telefilms in 1994.
|Years Active||1995 – present|
Her first show as a producer was Hum Paanch, a comedy series that aired on Zee TV from 1995 to 2006.
The show was a hit among the viewers and established Ekta Kapoor as a young and promising producer.
Ekta Kapoor then ventured into producing daily soap operas that focused on family dramas, romance, and social issues.
Some of her most popular shows include Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii, Kasautii Zindagii Kay, Kkusum, Kahiin To Hoga, Pavitra Rishta, Bade Achhe Lagte Hain, Yeh Hai Mohabbatein, Naagin, Kumkum Bhagya, Kundali Bhagya, and many more.
These shows have been widely watched and appreciated by millions of viewers across India and abroad.
They have also won several awards and accolades for their performances, direction, writing, and production values.
Ekta Kapoor has also produced films under the banner of Balaji Motion Pictures.
Some of her notable films include Shootout at Lokhandwala, Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai, The Dirty Picture, Ragini MMS, Ek Villain, Udta Punjab, Veere Di Wedding, Dream Girl, Judgementall Hai Kya, Laila Majnu, Dolly Kitty Aur Woh Chamakte Sitare, etc.
Ekta Kapoor is one of the most influential and successful producers in the Indian television and film industry.
She is the joint managing director and creative head of Balaji Telefilms Limited, which was founded by her father, veteran actor Jeetendra, in 1994.
She has produced numerous hit shows and movies that have shaped the entertainment landscape of India.
Net Worth and Income
|Net Worth||13 million USD|
|Sources of Income||TV shows, movies, digital content, endorsements, brand deals|
According to various sources, Ekta Kapoor’s net worth is estimated to be around $13 million as of 2023.
She earns most of her income from her production house, Balaji Telefilms, which produces content for various channels and platforms. She also owns a subsidiary company, Balaji Motion Pictures, which is a film production and distribution company.
She launched her own digital platform, ALT Balaji, in 2017, which offers original and exclusive web series. She also has a stake in the online fashion portal, Fashinza.
Description of any notable investments or financial ventures:
Ekta Kapoor has invested in several ventures that are related to her field of work or interest.
She has invested in Marinating Films, a company that produces celebrity cricket matches.
She has also invested in Box Cricket League, a sports reality show that features television actors.
She has also backed several startups, such as Healthians, a health test platform; Digi Osmosis, a digital marketing agency; and Plop Stories, an interactive fiction platform.
Impact and Legacy
Ekta Kapoor has had a lasting impact on the Indian television and film industry.
She is credited with revamping the television landscape by introducing new genres and formats of content.
She pioneered the concept of daily soap operas, which became hugely popular among the masses.
She also introduced supernatural, horror, thriller, and historical shows that catered to different audiences.
She has produced some of the longest-running and highest-rated shows in Indian television history, such as Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki, Kasautii Zindagii Kay, and Naagin.
Contributions to society or humanitarian causes
Ekta Kapoor has also contributed to society and humanitarian causes through her work and initiatives.
She has supported various social issues and causes through her shows and films, such as women’s empowerment, trans rights, mental health awareness, and organ donation.
She has also donated to various charities and foundations, such as Save The Children India, Cancer Patients Aid Association, and Pratham Education Foundation.
She has also collaborated with UNICEF to promote child rights and education.
How she changed the industry
Ekta Kapoor has changed the industry by setting new trends and standards for content creation and consumption.
She has challenged the norms and stereotypes of the industry by creating diverse and unconventional stories and characters.
She has also experimented with different mediums and platforms to reach out to a wider audience.
She has been a pioneer in launching web series in India, which have gained popularity among the youth and urban viewers.
She has also been a mentor and inspiration for many aspiring and established producers, directors, writers, and actors in the industry.
Interesting facts and Trivia
- Ekta Kapoor started working at the age of 15. She did an internship on a film set and her father helped her out with the money.
- She is a firm believer in astrology and numerology. She has an affinity towards the alphabet ‘K’ and has worked on many projects that start with the letter K.
- Ekta Kapoor is considered one of the most influential personalities in Bollywood.
- She is a fearless lady as she can easily give anyone a run for their money.
- Ekta Kapoor has some phobias. Her brother, Tusshar Kapoor revealed that Ekta has a fear of heights and darkness.
- She is an avid animal lover and so kind in nature. She is a dog lover and also treats her pet dogs and cats with love and extreme care. Even she made a shelter for them in her house.
- Ekta Kapoor is known for being her mommy’s girl. She is so protective of her mother, Shobha Kapoor with whom she shares a strong bonding. The duo co-produced many film projects.
- She is the daughter of actor Jeetendra Kapoor and Shobha Kapoor, a film and TV producer.
- Ekta Kapoor started her producer career at the young age of 19, with the TV show “Hum Paanch” in 1995.
- She is known as the “Queen of Indian Television” for her contributions to the Indian TV industry.
- Ekta Kapoor is the founder of Balaji Telefilms, one of the largest TV and film production houses in India.
- She has produced numerous hit TV shows such as “Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi”, “Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki”, and “Naagin”.
- In addition to TV shows, Ekta Kapoor has also produced several successful films such as “Love Sex Aur Dhokha”, “The Dirty Picture”, and “Ek Villain”.
- She has won several awards for her contributions to Indian television, including the Indian Telly Award for Best TV Producer in 2002.
- Ekta Kapoor is a workaholic and works up to 20 hours a day.
- She is also a philanthropist and supports various causes such as child welfare and education.