Ishan Kishan is an Indian cricketer currently playing as a wicket-keeper and a left-handed batsman for the Indian national team and Mumbai Indians in the Indian Premier League (IPL). He is known for his aggressive and explosive batting style, especially in the shorter formats of the game (like T20s or ODI). He made his international debut in 2021 against England and scored a half-century (over 50 runs) in his first match. He also has the third most sixes in a single IPL season by an uncapped player, with 30 sixes in 2020.
|Full Name||Ishan Pranav Kumar Pandey Kishan|
|Date of Birth||July 18, 1998|
|Age||25 years old (as of 2023)|
|Place of Birth||Patna, Bihar, India|
|Height||5’ 6″ (168 cm)|
|Weight||60 kg (132 lbs)|
|Body Measurements||Chest: 38 inches, Waist: 30 inches, Biceps: 12 inches|
|Eye color||Dark Brown|
|Tattoos on body||Elaborate tattoos on both his hands|
|Father||Pranav Kumar Pandey|
Ishan Kishan was born on 18 July 1998 in Patna, Bihar. His father, Pranav Kumar Pandey, is a builder and his mother, Suchitra Singh, is a homemaker. He has an elder brother, Raj Kishan, who is also a cricketer and played for Jharkhand in domestic cricket. Ishan Kishan started playing cricket at the age of six and joined the Bihar Cricket Academy at the age of 14. He idolizes former Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and considers him as his mentor.
Education and Early Life:
Ishan Kishan completed his schooling from Delhi Public School in Patna. He then moved to Ranchi to pursue his cricket career and joined the Jharkhand State Cricket Association (JSCA). He made his first-class debut for Jharkhand in 2014 at the age of 16 and scored a century in his second match. He also captained the India Under-19 team in the 2016 ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup, where he led his team to the final. He was bought by Gujarat Lions in the 2016 IPL auction for ₹35 lakh and made his IPL debut in the same year. In 2018, he was bought by Mumbai Indians for ₹6.2 crore and became a regular member of their squad.
|Years Active||2014 – present|
Ishan Kishan started playing cricket at a young age and was selected to represent Jharkhand in the Under-16 and Under-19 levels. He captained the India Under-19 team in the 2016 ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup, where he scored 273 runs in six matches and led his team to the final. He made his first-class debut for Jharkhand in the 2016–17 Ranji Trophy and scored a century in his second match.
He was bought by Gujarat Lions for ₹3.5 million in the 2016 IPL auction and made his IPL debut in the same year. He scored his maiden IPL fifty against Delhi Daredevils in 2017. He was then bought by Mumbai Indians for ₹62 million in the 2018 IPL auction and became a regular member of their playing XI. He scored his first IPL century against Royal Challengers Bangalore in 2020 and helped Mumbai Indians win their fifth IPL title.
He made his international debut for India in a Twenty20 International (T20I) match against England in March 2021 and scored a half-century on debut. He also made his One Day International (ODI) debut against Sri Lanka in July 2021 and scored another half-century on debut. He is regarded as one of the most promising young talents in Indian cricket.
Despite being in a losing effort, his 99 against RCB was one of the most beautiful innings that have occurred throughout the IPL season. Ishan Kishan’s blitzkrieg innings, which came at a strike rate of almost 170, featured nine sixes and two fours. His score now ranks third among uncapped Indians in the IPL.
He is also the third player in the Indian Premier League—along with Virat Kohli and Prithvi Shaw—to be removed for 99 runs, and it was heartbreaking for the young man, who was participating in his first game of IPL 2020 after being ruled out of the first couple of games due to injury.
Challenges or obstacles faced in their career, and how he overcame them:
Ishan Kishan faced many challenges and obstacles in his career, such as:
- Being dropped from the Jharkhand team after a poor performance in the 2017–18 Ranji Trophy
- Suffering a shoulder injury that ruled him out of the 2019 IPL season
- Facing criticism for his inconsistent form and temperament
- Missing out on a place in the Indian squad for the 2020 ICC T20 World Cup
He overcame these challenges by:
- Working hard on his fitness and skills
- Seeking guidance from senior players like MS Dhoni and Rohit Sharma
- Improving his shot selection and game awareness
- Performing well in domestic tournaments like Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy and Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Grabbing every opportunity to showcase his talent at the international level
Industry recognition or awards received:
Ishan Kishan has received several industry recognition and awards for his outstanding performance, such as:
- Emerging Player of the Year award in the 2020 IPL season
- Man of the Match award in his T20I debut against England
- Man of the Series award in the ODI series against Sri Lanka
- Nominated for the ICC Men’s T20I Player of the Month award for March 2021
Net Worth and Income:
|Current Net Worth||$8 Million (Rs. 60 Crore INR)|
|Sources of Income||Cricket, Endorsement deals|
Ishan Kishan has an estimated net worth of $8 Million as of 2023, according to various sources. His main source of income is his salary from playing cricket for India and Mumbai Indians. He also earns money from endorsements, sponsorships, and advertisements.
He has endorsed brands like Adidas, Dream11, Boat, Red Bull, etc. He has also invested in some businesses like restaurants, gyms, etc.
Interesting facts and Trivia
- Ishan Kishan’s father, Pranav Pandey, is a builder and he was born on July 18, 1998, in Patna, Bihar.
- Ishaan Kishan was born on July 18, 1998, in Patna, Bihar.
- He started playing cricket at the age of seven.
- Anytime he was given the chance to learn as a kid, he instead chose to spend time on the cricket pitch.
- He made his List A debut for Jharkhand in the 2016–17 Vijay Hazare Trophy.
- In 2016, he captained the India U-19 team in the Youth Asia Cup held in Sri Lanka, where he scored a century in the final against Sri Lanka U-19.
- He is the youngest captain to lead a side in the Ranji Trophy at the age of 20.
- Kishan is known for his aggressive batting style and is often compared to former Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
- Ishan Kishan is the proud owner of a luxury mansion in Patna, India.
- In 2018, he became the first player born in the 21st century to play in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
- Ishan Kishan does not have a particularly extensive collection of automobiles.
- He made his international debut for the Indian cricket team in March 2021 against England.
- In his second T20I match against England, he scored 56 runs off 32 balls, becoming the first Indian to score a half-century on T20I debut.
- Apart from cricket, he is also an avid football fan and supports Manchester United.