Jaya Bachchan has been an integral part of the Indian film industry for years now, with her incredible performances and iconic movies.
Her achievements to date have been rewarded with many awards.
Jaya is married to Amitabh Bachchan – a Bollywood megastar. She is also the proud mother of Abhishek and Shweta Bachchan Nanda, who are both actively involved in the film industry. As if that’s not enough, she also holds a seat in the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Indian parliament.
|Full Name||Jaya Bhaduri Bachchan|
|Date of Birth||April 9, 1948|
|Place of Birth||Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|Height||5’ 2” or 158 cm|
|Hair Color||Salt & Pepper|
|Tattoos on body|
Past & Current Relationships:
|Father||Tarun Kumar Bhaduri (writer)|
|Siblings||Rita Verma (Badhuri) (sister)|
|Children||Shweta Bachchan Nanda, Abhishek Bachchan|
|Grandchildren||Navya Naveli Nanda, Agastya Nanda, Aaradhya Bachchan|
Jaya Bachchan met Amitabh Bachchan on the set of Guddi (1971), where he had a guest appearance. They fell in love and married on 3 June 1973, after the success of their film Zanjeer (1973). They have two children: Abhishek Bachchan, who is also an actor and married to Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, and Shweta Bachchan Nanda, who is a writer and married to Nikhil Nanda, an industrialist. Jaya and Amitabh are considered one of the most enduring couples in Bollywood. They have worked together in several films, such as Abhimaan (1973), Chupke Chupke (1975), Silsila (1981) and Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham… (2001).
Early Life & Education:
Jaya Bachchan was born Jaya Bhaduri on the 9th of April 1948 in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh. Her dad, Taroon Kumar Bhaduri, was a writer, journalist, and stage artist, while her mom, Indira Bhaduri, was a homemaker. She has a younger brother named Bhaskar Bhaduri. She’s from a Bengali Brahmin family and follows Hinduism.
Jaya Bachchan began her acting career as a child artist in Bengali movies, like Mahanagar (1963), directed by the legendary Satyajit Ray. She also starred in a short movie named Suman (1964) and a comedy movie called Dhanyee Meye (1971). After that, she joined the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, and earned a gold medal for her acting. Guddi (1971), directed by Hrishikesh Mukherjee marked her debut in Hindi films as the lead actress. Mukherjee became her teacher and worked with her on numerous movies after that.
|Upcoming acting projects||Rocky Aur Rani Ki Prem Kahani|
Jaya made her big break in 1963 with a Bengali movie called Mahanagar, directed by the legendary Satyajit Ray. She then went on to star in many Hindi films including Guddi, Koshish, Abhimaan, Zanjeer, Chupke Chupke, Sholay, and more. She was known for her natural and realistic acting style and her versatility in playing different roles.
Jaya Bachchan married Amitabh Bachchan, another Indian cinema superstar, in 1973. They have two children, Abhishek and Shweta, who are also involved in the film industry. Jaya Bachchan took a break from acting after her marriage and focused on family life. She returned to the silver screen in 1981 with Silsila. This was her last film with Amitabh Bachchan until Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham in 2001. She also acted in films like Hazaar Chaurasi Ki Maa, Fiza, Kal Ho Naa Ho, Laaga Chunari Mein Daag, and Drona.
Jaya Bachchan entered politics in 2004 as a Samajwadi Party member. She was elected to the Rajya Sabha for the first time in 2004 and has been re-elected three times since then. She is known for her outspoken views on various issues and her support for the rights of women, children, and artists. She has also been involved in various social causes and charitable activities.
|Net Worth||$34 Million|
|Fees||Rs 3 Crore per endorsement, Rs. 2 Crore per movie|
|Sources of Income||Salary, Endorsements, Movies|
Jaya Bachchan has a net worth of around $34 million as of 2023, according to various sources. She earns most of her income from her acting and political careers. She also owns several properties and assets along with her husband Amitabh Bachchan. They are considered one of the richest and most influential couples in India.
Interesting facts and Trivia
- Jaya Bachchan was born as Jaya Bhaduri to a Hindu Bengali family in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh.
- She made her acting debut in the film “Mahanagar” directed by Satyajit Ray in 1963, while a student at the Film and Television Institute of India.
- Jaya Bachchan is a trained classical singer and has sung a few songs in Hindi films, including “Bagon Mein Bahar Hai” from the film “Aradhana”.
- She has won several awards for her film performances, including four Filmfare Awards for Best Actress.
- Jaya Bachchan is known for her strong support of the Indian film industry. She has served as a Member of Parliament in the Rajya Sabha representing the Samajwadi Party.
- She is married to actor Amitabh Bachchan and the couple has two children – Abhishek Bachchan and Shweta Bachchan Nanda.
- Jaya Bachchan is also grandmother to Abhishek and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s daughter Aaradhya Bachchan.
- In 2013, she was awarded the Padma Shri, the fourth-highest civilian award in India, for her contributions to Indian cinema and society.
- Jaya Bachchan is known for her simplicity and often wears simple cotton sarees and minimal makeup.
- She is a vegetarian and an ardent follower of her guru, Swami Chinmayananda.
- Jaya always wanted to be an actress. She had no other career option in mind. At age 14 she was chosen by India’s greatest filmmaker Satyajit Ray to play a role in his film Mahanagar.
- She’s the daughter of prolific author and poet Taroon Kumar Bhaduri and was also an academically brilliant student. She is a gold medalist from the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune.
- Jaya Bachchan met her now-husband Amitabh Bachchan for the first time on the sets of ‘Guddi’. Jaya was a superstar in the early 1970s, while Big B was a struggling actor. Not many know that she predicted that he would be a superstar even back then, and no one else agreed with her.
- According to a news portal, her favourite actor is Dharmendra. In fact, their first meeting was quite unusual as when Jaya had to face the He-Man of the industry for her debut film ‘Guddi’, she hid behind the sofa when he came on the sets.
- She has starred in 47 movies and won 14 Filmfare awards–eight Best actress awards, three best-supporting actress awards, two special awards and a Lifetime Achievement award in 2007. Not only that, she has also been honoured with a Padma Shri award, by the Government of India.